Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Lucky Labrador

Well, as usual, I have been lax in recording my keg hunting exploits. Many a keg has fallen before my lips, but here I shall pick up the story at a cavernous venue in SE Portland. I finally expanded beyond Rogue and the Old Market Pub, and made my way to the Lucky Labrador brewpub. Located on Hawthorne, and boasting a selection of handcrafted brews, the lucky lab is a dog friendly pub with outdoor seating, plenty of parking, and a laid back atmosphere. I started with the Chicken Bento (spicy chili, please) and a four pull taster of Dog Day IPA, Hair of the Dog (nitro), Crazy Ludwig's Alt, and Stumptown Porter. The Dog Day is light and gulpable, with a noticeable but mild hop flavor, and bashful malt - today's cask conditioned ale makes for a good start. A great summer brew for relaxing with the pups. Next I sampled Crazy Ludwig's Alt, while the Nitro "Got Hops?" settled a little. Crazy Ludwig's is a reddish brew with a strong hop flavor, with the typical yumminess of cascade hops. Strong at first, it mellows as you make your way to the bottom of the glass. Next up - the Nitro. Being a huge hop fan, I was excited to see that the hoppiest brew in the house would be on Nitro - this should be great. Shockingly mild, actually, not the kick I was expecting. Very smooth, with the hops balanced at a reasonably mild level in this golden bier. Only one taster left to explore - Portland's very own Stumptown Porter. This one is incredibly drinkable, and potent. Even though I am a big hop fan (and therefore very much enjoying the Alt), this porter is smooth and well balanced, and will make for a great complement to the others. Ah yes, the joy of beer. Well, back to my bento... until next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home